Friday, 4 November 2011

Vain Words

My brother has written a book for kindle so I downloaded a kindle reader and read his book. Then I went on to look for other books. John Wesley's diaries were under £1 so I got them too and started to read and was suprised what a good read they are. On a boat to America Wesley realises despite all his Christian piety that he is afraid to die, and compares that with some German Christians who seem ready and full of faith. He asks their pastor about the contrast ...

The pastor responded, “I must first ask you one or two questions. Have you the witness within yourself? Does the Spirit of God bear witness with your spirit, that you are a child of God?

Wesley was suprised and did not know what to answer. The Pastor noticing it asked "Do you know Jesus Christ?”"

Wesley paused and then answered, “I know he is the Saviour of the world.”

To which the pastor replied, “True. But do you know he has saved you?”

Wesley responded, “I hope he has died to save me.”

Wesley writes in his journal afterwards, “I fear they were vain words.”